What Is A Certifying Acceptance Agent
Certifying Acceptance Agent (CAA)
ITIN Certifying Acceptance Agent is an entity authorized by IRS to assist individuals in obtaining ITINs. That entity can be an individual, business, or organization (college, financial institution, accounting firm, etc.). Certifying Acceptance Agents review applicants’ documentation and complete a certificate of accuracy. Then they forward the certificate and application along with a tax return to the IRS for processing. Without the certificate of accuracy from the CAA, applicants would have to mail their passport or other identifying papers to the IRS for certification. Click here for a list of Acceptance Agents.
Certifying Acceptance Agents are authorized to:
- Meet with and assist the applicant in completing the IRS Form W7, Application for IRS Individual Taxpayer Identification Number.
- Review the required documentation to verify a foreign individual’s status. Complete the application and submit the ITIN on behalf of the foreign individual.
- Certify to the IRS that the foreign individual’s application is complete, accurate and that the documentation provided to us for review is authentic.
This eliminates the need for the original identifying documents being submitted to the IRS with the application. This is limited only the primary applicant and spouse. Applications for dependents still require that originals documents be mailed to the IRS. A self-addressed envelope must be included to have these original documents to be returned.
- Receive the individual’s ITIN directly from the IRS and communicate with the IRS on behalf of the foreign individual on matters relating to the issuance of an ITIN.
This service is offered to our clients and foreign nationals to assist in the compliance with IRS withholding regulations and assist individuals and other entities who are eligible to obtain the benefit of a reduced withholding under an income tax treaty.
- Offer expedited ITIN application service with the IRS, who processes ITIN applications submitted by a Certifying Acceptance Agent before processing ITIN applications submitted directly by ITIN applicants.